SA Health Biotechnology Status
A number of government strategies and policies to support further growth of the health industry have been developed and adopted. Key to the future growth of this industry is the Bio-economy Strategy of the Department of Science & Technology. This strategy puts health Biotechnology as one of the key pillars. The Bio-Economy Strategy identifies several strengths of the local Health Biotech sector that will drive the bio-economy. These include:
- A well-developed generics industry.
- Opportunities for local manufacturing due to improving public- and private-sector focus on generics supply chain management.
- The largest market in the world (by volume) for HIV drugs.
- Modern science, local biodiversity, and indigenous knowledge systems could be combined to accelerate product development.
- World-class clinical sciences researchers and a regulatory framework provide opportunities for globally competitive clinical development.
- World-class researchers in basic sciences, drug, and diagnostics discovery, and therapeutic delivery systems.
- Significant investments in vaccine production.
- Strategic international partnerships with countries and organisations.
AfricaBio's role in providing services to the Health Biotech industry continues to provide its members in the Health Biotech sector with knowledge and opportunity, to realise this growth and contribute to South Africa’s vision of health for all.